20 Argumentative Essay Topics For Middle School
An argumentative essay is designed to explain to your reader information about one side of an argument. It is a lot like a persuasive essay because the idea is to explain one side of an issue but the idea is to present the facts without your opinion involved. A persuasive essay would display personal opinions. So for an argumentative essay simply state which side of the issue you believe in and then give your reasoning as to why you believe it.
There are some great topics to consider when choosing a topic for your argumentative essay. You would choose a topic that interests you. Once you have the topic, answer the question and then support your answer with at least three reasons why you believe it. For example, if you take the first option on the list, you can write that sports should not be coed and then tell your reader three reasons why it shouldn’t be coed.
- Should sports be coed?
- Should schools sell fast food?
- Should students wear school uniforms?
- Should there be harsher punishments for bullying?
- Is it fair to ban preteenagers and teenagers from the mall without adult supervision?
- Should there be less homework?
- When are you old enough to stay home alone?
- Should middle school students still have a bed time?
- Does summer school benefit the student?
- How would you change the school lunch menu?
- Should school sports be mandatory?
- Do kids watch too much television?
- Should kids have chores?
- Should you have to wear your seat belt on the bus?
- Should students who play sports still have to take Gym class?
- Should children be more concerned with what they eat so that they don’t have health problems when they get older?
- Should you get a larger allowance?
- Should school be year round with more breaks to improve education?
- Do violent games and television shows make kids violent?
- Should your school have a school newspaper?
Any one of these topics would work well. They are designed to establish a question pertaining to a conflicted view and then challenge yourself to prove your stance. Therefore, you would tell your side of the dispute and then for each body paragraph talk about a different reason why you believe it.
Choosing Good Persuasive Essay Topics For 8th Graders
To write persuasive papers it is important that the writer has the ability to think critically without which it would not be possible for him to take a strong stand on a controversial topic. Thus persuasive papers are written on certain issues or topics that trigger conflicting opinions whereby the writer of essay persuades or convinces the readers to agree upon a particular opinion as is supported by the author himself.
Thus for writing a persuasive essay, the writer not only should be confident upon the stand that he has taken but the essay must also be credited with reliable and relevant facts in order to back up the opinion. How to connect the facts with the logic supporting the opinion is a skill that a persuasive essay writer must possess.
List of Persuasive Essay Topics For 8th Graders
For the 8th graders choosing a good topic for persuasive papers can be critical. Choice of topic is important since such topics tend to get debatable and the writer requires to have strong reasoning ability. For 8th graders the topics must not go beyond the intellect level of their own age group and thus it is best to avoid too complex topics. The topics should be relating to the issues that concern the interests of the students so that they are able to think critically on it and then able to take stand.
A list of persuasive essay topics that are suitable for the 8th graders are,
- Should students be allowed to use cell phones in high schools and elementary schools?
- Should voting age be lowered to thirteen years?
- Do video games trigger violence in children?
- Does recycling help the environment?
- Should parents be held responsible for the wrongdoings of their child?
- Who is the strongest superhero?
- Is it a good thing to own pets?
- Do pets make great companions?
- Is reading a book more entertaining than watching a movie based on the same book?
- Is it right to keep animals in a zoo?
- Video games are harmful for kids’ health.
- Kids should read more books.
- Beauty contests are derogatory for girls’ self confidence.
- Country life is better than city life.
- Banning books is detrimental to free speech.
- Life was simpler 50 years back.
- Winter vacations should be longer.
- Schools should take serious measures against bullying.